discarded CREW Motorcycle Forum discarded CREW Motorcycle Forum discarded CREW Motorcycle Forum   discarded CREW Motorcycle Forum   discarded CREW Motorcycle Forum
[clock]

Go Back   discarded CREW Motorcycle Collective > Tech and Motorcycle Talk - Engine Room.. > MoCo
..."You tell 'em I'm coming! And Hell's coming with me you hear! Hell's coming with me!"... ------------------------------ Check out ALL the user albums... CLICK HERE! ------------------------------ ASINUS STULTISSIMUS©... dumbass©... CamWow©... Sounds Right©... just sayin'©...I ain't kidd'n neither ©...DFWM!©...True Dat©...You ain't the boss of me ©... I'm tentative©...verbose, ain't cha ©... I can't eat a whole (blank)...makes me sick.©...in all three holes?©...The Skimmer Report©...Dayum!©...

Old 10-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Jams
Quest Rider

Important recall 10-23-2011

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20...ogle_news_blog

Quote:
Motorcycle maker Harley-Davidson Inc. is recalling certain touring motorcycles, trikes and models from its Custom Vehicle Operations or CVO from the 2009 through 2012 model years. The reason for the recall is that the rear brake-light switch could be damaged by heat from the bikes’ exhaust systems.
According to a document filed with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the recall includes a total of 250,757 models built from June 6, 2008 through Sept. 16, 2011. The company says it knows of one alleged crash attributed to the defect.

The company says the excessive heat may cause the switch to fail to activate the brake light during braking, or to activate it when the brake has not been applied. The problem could also result in a brake fluid leak at the switch that could keep the rear brake from working properly. Any of these problems could cause a crash.

A motorcycle’s rear brake is usually operated by a foot pedal while a hand lever controls the front brake, and riders are supposed to apply them together. Though the front brake does most of the work to slow the bike, losing the rear brake’s effect is a serious problem.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #2
LittleBear
We Are Walking People!!

Damn CATs in the pipes. Thanks CA for your input.

Good report Jams, Godito may need that one.

LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
pairofnines
Moderator-Quest Rider

If you look at the list of bikes on the recall it includes a lot more than just the CVO models.

Littlebear has it right -- damn thing melted our camara.

We found the damn bike unrideable in the Texas heat until we changed the exhaust system and added a tuner to give it some gas. Gave a whole new meaning to the concept of "lean mixture" >

pairofnines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
ridingjerry
Obsolete Crew member

I can't imagine riding any bike that has pipes hotter than my fatcat.

What are they changing to remedy the situation?
Replacing the switch just means it will melt later.

If this offends you, then get out of my country!!!

Obsolete Doof
1998 Obsolete Springer Rider
Now sporting the Al Gore engine
Part time Shovel Rider
Ex XLCH Kicker
ridingjerry is offline   Reply With Quote